>> About the College
About the College
The History of The James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy
The Cincinnati College of Pharmacy was granted a charter by the Ohio Legislature in 1850. It operated as a private college until July 1954 when it became an integral part of the University of Cincinnati. It was the first college of pharmacy established west of the Alleghenies.
In 1967 the College of Pharmacy became a unit of the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center, along with the College of Medicine, College of Nursing, University Hospital, Christian R. Holmes Hospital, and the Health Sciences Library.
In 2000 a fourth College, the College of Allied Health Sciences joined the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The College occupies newly remodeled space in the Health Professions Building and Wherry Hall.
On June 6th, 2007 the University of Cincinnati (UC) College of Pharmacy changed its name to the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy. The college is only the second in UC's history to be named.
The name change honors Winkle's pledge of $10 million to his alma mater from his estate or trust.
A Hamilton, Ohio, resident who graduated from the college in 1958, Winkle made the donation in 2005, but at his request his support was not publicly acknowledged until June 6th, 2007.
About the University of Cincinnati
The University of Cincinnati traces its origins to 1819, the year of the founding of the Cincinnati College and the Medical College of Ohio. In 1870, the City of Cincinnati established the University of Cincinnati, which later absorbed the earlier institutions. UC became a state university in 1977.
The University of Cincinnati has established a continuing reputation for excellence in graduate and undergraduate education, cultural services, and basic and applied research. Since its founding in 1819, UC has been the source of many contributions to society, including the oral polio vaccine, the first program of cooperative education, the first electronic organ, the first safe anti-knock gasoline, and the first antihistamine. In recent years, UC has gained international attention for studies on the vibration analysis of structures, the chemistry of surfaces, and laser brain surgery.
Located on five campuses, the University of Cincinnati today serves more than 35,000 students through 18 colleges and divisions offering more than 400 degree programs from the associate to the doctoral level.
An outstanding feature of many of UC's colleges is the cooperative education or "professional practice" program. This program was first offered in the United States at UC in 1906. The program allows students the opportunity to alternate academic semesters of classroom instruction and salaried, on-the-job experience. Today, UC's 4,100 co-op students work in 40 states and 6 foreign countries for 1,300 employers.
The University of Cincinnati is a stimulating environment that has produced some exceptional people. Among past or present faculty and alumni are found President and later Chief Justice William Howard Taft; Nobel Peace Prize recipient Charles G. Dawes; Albert Sabin, developer of the oral polio vaccine; Cleveland Abbe, whose work at UC led to the National Weather Service; opera diva Kathleen Battle; authors Thomas Berger (Little Big Man, Neighbors) and Jonathan Valin (The Lime Pit, Final Notice); sports greats Sandy Koufax, Oscar Robertson, Jack Twyman and Tony Trabert; architect Michael Graves; and fashion designer Bill Tice.
UC is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. It is a member of the National Commission on Accrediting and is recognized by the Ohio State Department of Education.