COVID-19 Notice: In response to testing site closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UC’s Winkle College of Pharmacy has declared the PCAT examination will be optional for the 2020-2021 application cycle to allow for increased applicant flexibility. While this test-optional admission policy has been temporarily adopted, we maintain the PCAT is a valuable predictor of success and encourage applicants to register (if able) as it may strengthen the robustness of their admission application. However, we understand this may not be feasible given the unpredictability of testing site availability. We hope that this new temporary policy will help eliminate some of the burden caused by COVID-19 and allow applicants to apply within their desired timeframe.
Minimum GPA and PCAT Requirements
The Universtiy of CIncinnati Winkle College of Pharmacy does not require the PCAT for admission into the PharmD program. Applicants can opt to take the PCAT to enhance their overall application, but will not be penalized for not submitting a score.
It is recommended that the following applicants take the PCAT:
- Overall GPA below a 3.0
- 2 or more repeated science courses
- Science pre-requisites taken more than 7 years ago
- A downward trend with academics over time
A holistic approach to admissions review is used. To be considered a qualified candidate, applicants should have a strong academic background, a demonstrated history of leadership and involvement in community service, and strong essays and personal statement. A preferred GPA is a minimum 3.0.
Working in a Pharmacy Setting
It is strongly encouraged for students to work in a pharmacy setting or engage in pharmacy shadowing experiences before applying. This will allow students to explore the field of pharmacy to provide a knowledge base of the profession. Previous pharmacy work experience is not a requirement.
How to Apply
- Complete the PharmCAS Application at www.pharmcas.org
- As part of the PharmCAS application, we require that you submit three letters of recommendation.
- Complete the University of Cincinnati supplemental application online by creating a new login. There is a $65.00 application fee for the University of Cincinnati application.
- Take The Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). For more information and to register for the PCAT, visit www.pcatweb.info. Score should be submitted directly to PharmCAS.
- Complete (or be in the process of completing) the undergraduate pre-pharmacy curriculum with a “C” or better in all required courses.
Interviews are invitation only. Interviews days are 3.5 hours and will include an information session, student guided tour of the college, a traditional interview, and a series of multiple mini interviews.
University of Cincinnati students who have a 3.5 cumulative college GPA or above (as calculated by PharmCAS) and a score of 70 or better on the PCAT and a “C” or better in core required courses will be guaranteed an interview.
Letters of Recommendation
It is required that you submit three letters of recommendation. Suggested sources of the letters could be your academic instructors, academic advisors, Pharmacists, and employers. Letters of recommendation from politicians, friends, family members, co-workers, current students or clergy will not be accepted.
Status of Application
You can check the status of your PharmCAS application by logging into your PharmCAS application. After the college has received your PharmCAS application, you will receive an e-mail informing you of your application status at UC.