Faculty research in experimental therapeutics seeks to understand the molecular basis of human disease and identify novel drug targets.
A further understanding of disease biology is critical for the development of increasingly targeted treatments for diseases that negatively affect today’s society. Beyond disease biology, our research efforts also include extensive investigations of the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of therapeutic agents. The experimental therapeutics group includes faculty with diverse backgrounds in cell and molecular biology, pharmacology and biopharmaceutics. Areas of strength within this research focus area include cancer therapeutics and neuroscience.
Faculty within these areas collaborate extensively with other investigators within the UC Cancer Center and the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute.
Faculty in this focus area include:
- Pankaj Desai, PhD: Clinical and preclinical pharmacokinetics, cancer therapeutics
- Joan Garrett, PhD: Oncology, resistant mechanisms, tyrosine kinases
- Gary Gudelsky, PhD: Neuropharmacology of stimulant drugs, neurotoxicity
- Jiukuan Hao, MD, PhD: Neuroimmunology, neuropharmacology, brain-drug delivery
- Dan Healy, PharmD: Antimicrobial pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics
- Jianxiong Jiang, PhD: Neuroinflammation in seizures and epilepsy
- Nalinikanth Kotagiri, MD, PhD: Photonanomedicine, experimental cancer therapeutics
- Giovanni Pauletti, PhD: Drug resistance, membrane protein regulation
- Timothy Phoenix, PhD: Neuro-oncology, tumor microenvironment
- Matthew Robson, PhD: Neuroinflammation and molecular signaling in traumatic brain injury
- Georg Weber, MD, PhD: Cancer metastasis, anti-cancer treatment
- Yuhang Zhang: Melanoma