The Cincinnati College of Pharmacy was the first college of pharmacy established west of the Alleghenies.
It was granted a charter by the Ohio Legislature in 1850 and operated as a private college until July 1954 when it became an integral part of the University of Cincinnati.
In 1967 the College of Pharmacy became a unit of the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center, along with the College of Medicine, College of Nursing, University Hospital, Christian R. Holmes Hospital, and the Health Sciences Library.
In 2000 a fourth College, the College of Allied Health Sciences joined the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The College occupies newly remodeled space in the Health Professions Building and Wherry Hall.
On June 6, 2007 the University of Cincinnati (UC) College of Pharmacy changed its name to the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy. The college is only the second in UC's history to be named.
The name change honors Jim Winkle's pledge of $10 million to his alma mater from his estate or trust. A Hamilton, Ohio, resident who graduated from the college in 1958, Winkle made the donation in 2005, but at his request his support was not publicly acknowledged 2007.