History of the College
The establishment of the Cincinnati College of Pharmacy marked a significant milestone as the first pharmacy college founded west of the Alleghenies. With a charter granted by the Ohio Legislature in 1850, it operated independently until July 1954, when it seamlessly integrated into the University of Cincinnati.
In 1967, the College of Pharmacy became a vital component of the University of Cincinnati Academic Health Center, alongside the College of Medicine, College of Nursing, University Hospital, Christian R. Holmes Hospital, and the Health Sciences Library.
Further expansion occurred in 2000 with the addition of the College of Allied Health Sciences to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. The College now occupies modernized spaces in the Health Professions Building and Wherry Hall.
A significant milestone took place on June 6, 2007, when the University of Cincinnati (UC) College of Pharmacy was renamed the James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy. This naming was a tribute to Jim Winkle, an alumnus from the class of 1958, who had pledged $10 million to his alma mater from his estate or trust. Though the donation was made in 2005, it wasn't publicly acknowledged until 2007, per Winkle's request. This act marked only the second instance in UC's history of a college being named to honor a supporter.